Search Something and Find The Most Interesting Things on Net

Methane Hydrates Natural Hazard or Natural Resource - Presented by geochemist Miriam Kastner

Explore naturally occurring frozen methane deposits under the sea with renowned geochemist Miriam Kastner and discover whether or not they are a hazard to climate change. Ocean Science, 8/2008

What Do you know about PATTAYA? (Tayland's most exotic wonder) - see the video now


What Do you know about PHUKET? (Tayland's craziest resort) - see the video now

Miriam Kastner was born in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia on January 22, 1935. She received both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in geology from Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel in 1964. She received her Ph.D. in geosciences/earth sciences from Harvard University in 1970. She has received a number of awards and honors, served on many national, international, and advisory committees, and has held a variety of academic and administrative positions. These include: fellow, Geological Society of America, 2004; Hans Pettersson Medal, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, 1999; fellow, America Association for the Advancement of Science, 1993; Guggenheim Fellow, 1982; review panel, American Chemical Society, Petroleum Research Fund, 2004 – present; US representative, Euro-Margins Review Panel, 2002 – present; Methane Hydrate Advisory Committee member to the Energy Secretary, Department of Energy, 2001 – present; panel member, Sedimentary and Geochemical Processes, NSF Ocean Drilling Program; chairperson, SIO Faculty, 2001 – 2002; director, Geosciences Research Division, SIO, 1989 – 1994; and Curricular Group Coordinator, Geological Sciences, SIO, 1978 – 1982. She came to Scripps in 1972, becoming the second female faculty member at SIO and the first woman professor in the Geosciences Research Division.
My Dear, Dear Betsy, I am now, for the most part, in a part of the world I never expected, it is however a place that has afforded me relief and saved my life, and I have the happiness to assure you that I am now in perfect health... Know then my own Dear Betsy, that I have lost the Bounty...on the 28 April at day light in the morning Christian having the morning watch. He with several others came into my Cabin while I was a Sleep, and seizing me, holding naked Bayonets at my Breast, tied my Hands behind my back, and threatened instant destruction if I uttered a word. I however call'd loudly for assistance, but the conspiracy was so well laid that the Officers Cabbin Doors were guarded by Centinels, so Nelson, Peckover, Samuels or the Master could not come to me. I was now dragged on Deck in my Shirt & closely guarded – I demanded of Christian the case of such a violent act, & severely degraded for his Villainy but he could only answer – "not a word sir or you are Dead." I dared him to the act & endeavoured to rally some one to a sense of their duty but to no effect...

TATTOO OF THE DAY

Contact - Email